Monday, July 26, 2010

Egret - Work in Progress

This is the start of an 8 x 10" painting of an Egret. It's part of a swap I'm doing with a fellow artist. She collects egrets. I've never seen one in person, but after researching them, they seem to be truly beautiful birds. I am an avid bird lover so I want to really do this justice. Doesn't look like much now, but this will be an egret in flight! (oops you can see part of my messy messy cardboard that I place under the canvas when I'm not using a tabletop easel..... I was using those disposable plastic cutting boards and then wiping them off when I was done (a great thing to paint on) but somehow I adopted this sheet of cardboard and it stuck with me now for over a year....not that you care...
This will be an autumn scene (fitting because I will be sending it to her this fall) All the background is done without brushes. Just dip balls of plastic wrap in the paint and dab it where I want it on the canvas. This stage kind of panics me because it really doesn't look like anything but a mess.

Dab, dab, dab....then smear, smear, smear :) All of a sudden the background appears. I haven't decided where exactly I'm am going to place the bird. Either large, in the foreground, or a bit smaller in the background. Either way it will be of full wingspan and landing. Stay tuned.....I will be working on this off and on for the next few weeks.





1 comment:

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

It has been interesting to watch how you start your paintings! this will be lovely I know!

Not much art for me right now, so busy at my "real job" :(