Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trellis/flower bed...commission






This will be an 8 x 10 painting of the flowerbed/trellis in the reference photo. Steph looked after our cat (a couple of times) and I've promised her any painting she liked. (This is the first of two) This is a flower bed where she used to live. She had put a lot of hours in on it, and wanted a remembrance of it. This is bigger than I normally paint (I like very small) but not as big as we first talked about....(it just didn't look right). I have started the sky and the hedge of trees across the street. As usual I am working from the front to the back. Notice I did the entire painting as sky before adding the hedge. This way I can put foreground wherever I want.
In the middle photo I have painted the "grey" in for the street and stones...and have now transferred in a really rough sketch to determine the layout. I hate the paving stones....they are piddly and wish they were just straight lines LOL, but I'll manage......one brick at a time :)
The bottom photo...I'm just working out some of the shadows......Lots of sunshine that day so there is a big contrast. I think I'll leave it for today. I can't decide whether to move on to flowers or tackle those bricks!



2 comments:

Nata Cynthia Artistadonna said...

beautiful!

Doreen said...

You are amazing, I wouldn't know where to start!